Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Rachel's forum that is..... several posts below I described the awesome invitation I received from one Mr Delbut of Wales to contribute a cover song from Rachel Fuller/Pete Townshend's *In the Attic/Who collection* for a compilation album. The album was a gift presented to Rachel, Pete, Mikey and Simon to thank them for their generosity to their fans (especially we bloggers!), and as a tribute to their internet show *In the Attic*. I chose to cover Behind Blue Eyes and was given premission from Rachel for BBE to appear at my Myspace and also International Artists Company (IAC). For all these things alone I was completely thrilled. If nothing more, this was enough.

But then a funny thing happened, something that so completely astounded me I am still pinching myself to see if I am dreaming. After posting BBE at IAC on a Sunday night, I awoke Monday morning to see that somehow Cashbox Magazine had heard the song, and placed it on their Top Ten Pop Picks chart!!!! I had no clue something like this could/would ever happen since I had no clue Cashbox had any connection to IAC! I watched BBE climb the chart, entering at # 10 the last week of November, to it's peak today at # 1!!!!! Holy Shades of Knock Me Over with a Feather Batman!!
You can listen to it by clicking the following link.

Cashbox Magazine Top Ten Pop Picks

And so for this shameless announcement please forgive me, as I gush, know that I am completely humbled and indebted to Delbut for asking me to contribute to the album in the first place, for Jim Reynolds Sr for arranging and performing the ambient guitar parts that make the song so much more than I was alone, to Jim Reynolds Jr for his expertise with sound recording and engineering, to Rachel for giving her permission for the song to appear publically, and finally to Pete for writing such a classic that 37 years after it first grabbed the hearts of a generation it still has to power to reach # 1 status. I will always consider my remake a gift to you and to Rachel, that just happened to give some small thing back to me in return.

14 Comments:

Blogger Suesjoy said...

Oh Lace~
I am SO happy for you...but I am NOT surprised at all.
Your voice and arrangement are GORGEOUS.
I can't understand why you haven't recorded yet!
Yes, Delbut is da MAN.
Woo hoo!

So what are your FUTURE recording plans my dear?
Don't STOP!

I hope you are feeling better - are you?

Take care.
Lots of love,
Suexxxxxxx

10:09 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hey, congratulations Lace. You did a lovely version of this song. I hope we get to work together on something similar down the road, who knows.. Keep singing Lace.

10:39 PM  
Blogger grace said...

gushing is good Lace! You should be very proud.
Congrats

xox

1:05 AM  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!

COOL that both you and Gary had #1 spots! That is awesome to see you BOTH listed there!

Proud to know you both!

xxxxx

3:59 AM  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

Lace, you deserve to be number one, you have an amazing voice, infact your name 'Blackvelvet' describes your voice to a tee, rich dark smooth quality..

Mind you after listening to the CTA CD, I was astounded at just how talented and professional you lot are, Gary, James, Del, Ranceman and our lovely Suesjoy..I already knew how wonderfully talented Neil is of course..
you should all be very proud!..x..

7:03 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Swho, Gary, Grace, gyps.. thank you SO MUCH for your kind words and support!!! I am still just humbled and thrilled for this to have happened. Having listened to CTA a few billion times all the way through, I surely know I stand among great talent, and I for one am so proud to have been included among them!!

::hugs all around::
xoxo
~Lace~

9:56 AM  
Blogger ROB said...

Congratulations again Lace. It just shows that dreams can come true. I'm just glad it happened to a nice person like you. I'd like to hear you do a cover of Blue, Red and Grey or Imagine a Man next. Who knows, maybe you'll have another hit...go for it:)

Rob

1:49 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Thank so much Rob, my *moment in the sun* is now over, BBE has slipped to #2 at Cashbox.. twas fun while it lasted! Since I never expected anything like it to happen, it's all just good. :D

As for more tunes, I'll see what I can do from here ;)

xox
~Lace~

6:43 PM  
Blogger ROB said...

Still...At least you had your moment. Just think...Not even Pete or The Who ever had a #1. You done good and should be proud.

7:50 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

"Not even Pete or The Who ever had a #1"

WHAT? NO WAY! THAT'S ABSURD!! SO with BBE NOW they did! :P

~Lace~

11:52 PM  
Blogger ROB said...

Sad but true Lace! They never won one of those lame ass grammy's either. Not that that means anything (obviously).

2:58 PM  
Blogger flippnsweet said...

This is so exciting and wonderful! I finally get to hear you sing, and how beautiful it is! Hooray!
You totally redeemed anything that Fred Durst did to besmirch BBE, (even the lame "I'm such a tortured soul" Hallie Berry video)! ;) You rock!

10:03 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Rob, it's not only sad but pretty unfathomable. Ah well, what do the critics know anyhoo LOL

xox
~Lace~

11:51 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

MICHELLE MA BELLE NOW ARE YOU!?!?!?! How's the MAN!?!?! And how are you feeling?!?!

I've missed you so much.. we had SO much fun when Kept was aliving and kickin!

THANK YOU for your kind words! BBE was really a trip, totally unexpected where it finally led to to boot. Just like God to drop a pearl in my lap in the midst of such an interrupted life. Just had a meeting this week with the new *studio band*, we're getting ready to start recording (for fun). Which reminds me, I have to go program!

PLEASE keep in touch. I miss you so!!

Love
~Lace~

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home