Saturday, August 13, 2005

Went to a Garden Party..

.. last night. Several friends were there. The night was warm, the breeze picked up just enough to cool off the day. Lights from across the lake glistened right up to the shoreline we sat by. Someone picked up a guitar and started playing. Everything. Well, everything from my genre anyway. Eagles. Stones. Beatles. Classic stuff. He was great, but I can't talk him into doing a trio. I guess it's his need for anonymity since he's by trade a psychoanalytic psychiatrist. He did play through medical school and residency, very well I might add, but I just can't get him to budge now. Perhaps we could play in *costume*. Hey, don't laff. Look at KISS. Ok, well, laff I guess. ::Giggles::

5 Comments:

Blogger flippnsweet said...

I guess I don't see why it has to be a choice between psychiatrist and musician. I know a ton of attorneys that are in bands. They use it as a means of keeping themselves balanced and blowing off steam. Some of them are actually pretty good too and sometimes play at bar retreats and other functions. One criminal law attorney I know is a drummer who plays "gig's" on the weekend. I'm sure he probably runs into his clients all the time. That doesn't stop him and I'm sure it is a great outlet for a lot of the "bad stuff" he deals with every day.
Is it that he's afraid of being vulnerable in public and losing his "omniscience"?

2:19 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

You're sort of on the right track, but it's really the patient's need for omniscience that would influence what a psychoanalyst would want the patient/public to know.

I know psychologists and psychiatrists that play out. And it's not a problem for most. My friend, however, is a psychoanalyst from the classical school of thought. They usually seek to have as much anonymity as is possible.

Classical psychoanalytic theory involves therapeutic neutrality, interpretations of patient projections, and the concept of therapist as *blank slate*. The more a patient knows about the therapist's private life, the fewer fantasies get projected. Conversly, the less they know (and psychoanalysts do share, but they chose carefully what they wish to share) the more fantasies get projected. My friend's orientation is most likely what keeps him from *going public* with his talent.

6:09 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Hey, maybe Monkey has a costume he could borrow!

Wait, aren't those Gorilla suits kinda hot?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Monkey said...

LOL! I'm with Stephanie. Become an animated band. The stunts you can do in your videos are unlimited!

Monkey loves the Gorillaz.

5:23 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

I'll run this idea past my friend. If you don't hear from me in awhile, please know he's finally managed to commit me.

I'll write from *the hospital*. Heh

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home