Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Shock & Awe

My cousin John wrote today in shock and awe that I have corresponded with Rachel Fuller. Not only because she is *the* up and coming talent, but also because she is Pete Townsend's girlfriend. Being an avid music lover as well as an old Who fan, I suspect he is jealous, as Rachel has invited me to attend her shows as a VIP.

What makes a VIP a VIP? Who they know? What they do? Where they go? What they own, wear, say? No. I think it's really deeper than any of those things. I think a VIP is VIP because of what they mean to someone. Their connection. I suspect I am a VIP to Rachel because I found her music and supported her in a place that was sometimes hostile. Not because of anything she did wrong, or for lack of talent, but because of the limitations of some of the critics. When I was flamed for my support, I shrugged and said, "To me, she is great." She is a VIP to me because I love music and her songs touch me. And also because she is willing to show her humanness, her vulnerable side with humor and candor.

John is a VIP to me because we share a whole lifetime of memories. We are family. Each the oldest of a tumble of siblings. My earliest memories include him, running 'round a green station wagon in Grandma's backyard, me with a pail and he with it's shovel. Summer days of Robin Hood and Maids Marion (his sister Kathleen, another VIP, a bit younger than both of us, was Maid Marion 2.. heh). So dashing he was, as he lept over the porch railing with an apron tied backwards around his neck for a cape. Orange leaves fell as we played Roy Rogers and Dale Evans 1 and Dale Evans 2. Combat. How many *Krouts* we killed with imaginary rifles. How many outfits we grass-stained, crawling on our bellies to sneak up on said *Krouts*. How many times did Grandma and Macky (her sister) drag us in from the yard, covered in culm dust from climbing over banks of exhausted coal beside the old breaker with the missing windows. How many will know he and I even existed on this earth 200 years from now? Probably none. But that doesn't matter. Because when someone is your VIP, they may be either famous and known, like Rachel, or famously loved and unknown, like John.

I guess a VIP is really mostly just a very important person who has left their mark on your heart.

12 Comments:

Blogger flippnsweet said...

Awwww... this is a great post, Lace. Our childhood games most often involved an epic adventure against those dreaded Russian "commies".

Oh, how we do all naturally seek a common enemy to draw us closer to our "brothers" and make us feel heroic.

I wonder who the children of today unite against?
Perhaps that dreaded, and most certainly evil, enemy that keeps their mothers in perpetual and catatonic fear--

cellulite!

You are definitely on my VIP list, Lace, for whatever that's worth!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are VIPs to me!

I think I should go on an infomercial "Blogging saved my sanity".

When you go to Rachel's concert as a Very Important Friend, you must of course, dish when you return.

Children of today are afraid of all kinds of things... but I will not be a downer here! No. NO. NO.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Monkey said...

Oh crikey! Look what I signed in as! LOL! Sorry... that's too funny. Kind of like wearing underwear in public.

This is the face behind hlpayson1.

8:13 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Sweet~ Aw shucks, it's worth alot, thanks ::kicks dirt:: And you're at the top of my VIP list too! ::grinz::

I think the kids today unite against the progeny of Mario Brothers (as in those shoot-to-kill video games that soldiers use in training they appear so real. Frightening).

The cellulite, that is the dreaded enemy of teen girls!! (Altho I'm seeing more and more obese kids. *When we were kids* we ran around outside too much to get fat. *When we were kids* we walked the mile to school. *When we were....* I used to roll my eyes when my father would start any sentence with that. ((Father)) *When we were kids we walked 3 miles to school, 3 miles home for lunch, 3 miles back to shool and 3 miles home.* I'm still wonderin' why he didn't just.. carry his lunch. Heh).

Radical~ Aw shucks, thanks ::kicks more dirt:: You and Monkey sure do make my VIP list as well.

HL~ as Monkey's showing underware, (lol) I definitely think you should pitch a story to someone about the underworld of blogging! It's a fascinating look at the internet, how it connects people, and the relationships formed because of it.

Any concert I make it to (the one coming up is in Scotland, won't make it there!) I'll share all the exciting details.

Monkey~ You have the face every human would love ::grinz::

11:17 AM  
Blogger flippnsweet said...

Yes, I think a look into internet connections would be a pioneering effort that I would totally support. Into the breech Monkey!!!

I just got Rachel's cd. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! (a little scary how much-- "keep me from that dark place mommy!" ;) ) Sure wish I had the UK version with Jerry's song, but, Oh Well....

you can't always get what you want!

I think we've got a pretty amazing group of VIP's here. Group hug!

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool, BVL!!!

I too have begun to run from the rather hostile place you are talking about. You wouldn't believe how hostile it's turned in the past few days. And yes, it's all over that same guy!!! Silliness.

I'm still in thrall to my hot, hunky stud. Can't help it. Working on a fansite for him right now. I might have to turn to heroin soon for a less powerful habit...

7:18 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

::Plays Rachels CD, does a VIP group hug, thanks Sapphire and hands her a fan:::

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I needed that. Shwew!!! I see that Austen has turned to heroin himself. It's just so much easier. ;)

3:39 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Austen on heroin???? Say it isn't so, isn't so!

::Maybe that explains the loss of his pants in that photo she saw. No. Can't be. People lose their shirts, not their pants::

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's just kidding around, though that managed to go way over the heads of most of his readers.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Not a truer word spoken. Excellent post.

Peace, love and light to you and yours,
Kid Ric

2:15 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Ric,

I didn't see your response to this blog post till now. Thank you!

~Lace~

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home