Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Bat

It is time to finally tell the story of the bat.

Ponce a wanna time, when I was about 14, I spent summers living at the lake. My friend Jeryl who lived down the road (there were no streets, just dirt roads at the lake) asked me to stay over for a pajama party. Since there were only two of us girls on the lake that summer, the party was rather small. Just her and me. After doing all the regular things girls do at a pajama party we actually fell asleep. This was my fatal mistake.

Sometime around 4 am I was awakened by a slight flick on the top of my blanket. I sat up in the pitch dark, wondering what it could have been. Jeryl was sound asleep in the bed nearby, so I laid back down. *Flick*, there it was again, I sat up, but in the attic room I could see nothing. By the third time I felt it, I was fully awake. It was only then that I heard the unmistakeable, sickening sound that only a bat on the wing can make.

Immediately I froze. Thoughts ran through and out of my head as sheer fright had overtaken me. I could not move; the room went completely silent other than Jeryl's breathing. Ten minutes passed like ten year. Foraging through my mind for everything I knew about bats, I came up with two facts. They carry rabies. They can crawl into the thinnest of cracks. I began to realize that the silence meant the bat had landed SOMEWHERE IN THE ROOM. Imagining the vampire had made it's way under the covers with me, I could stand it no more. Finally I sat up in the bed and let out a piercing scream which echoed off the other side of the lake. I swear. One split second later, Jeryl consequently sat up and began screaming herself. One split second after that her uncle, who owned the cottage, ran into the room screaming and threw on the light. Unbeknowst to me HE HAD A GLASS EYE. THAT HE HAD REMOVED GOING TO BED.

With everyone screaming in sheer terror now, the bat long forgotten, I lept from the bed and ran off into the night, pj's and all. You have to realize that after dark I am a complete coward, to this very day. But I ran the 1/2 mile home barefoot, over sticks and stones, like a thief in the moonless night. And I never went back there again.

And that is the story of THE BAT.

23 Comments:

Blogger Delbut said...

That was no real bat. it was a plastic one on a string and was being worked by the sex-craved, one-eyed uncle. He was hoping to get you to run nekked around the room and fall into his arms!!

What a sick mind i have.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

... DELBUT !

Lace, that is a scream...

Bats & one-eyed Jacks!

I spent every summer at our cottage & some of my best memories are having pyjama parties with the girls down the dirt road.

I don't recall ever running home in the dark being chased by a bat & a one-eyed uncle though...

Love
Dale

10:00 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

DELBUT! I HAD PJ'S ON!! You DO have a sick mind. :::she also has a story of running about nekked, for another time:::

:P


Dale, I hafta keep washing Del's mouth out with soap and spanking him! I'm getting suspicious that he kinda likes it! ::Bites nails::

That night sure was a scream, EVERYone was screaming!! But there's nuthin like the memories of spending summer at the lake. Is there?

~Lace~

12:33 AM  
Blogger Spiny said...

I knew a man who had a glass eye called Ron,
his other eye was called Brian.
lol.
I've never been chased by a bat before, but there was an incident with a 3-legged cat once that I dont like to talk about!
Great story Lace, there's is a either a Movie or a Song there somewhere!
Sick, sick Delbut!!!! Why are all drummers mad?? (I guess you have to be eh? lol)

7:41 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Andy, Ron/Brian LOL. Oh DO tell of the 3 legged cat, I'll bet theres a movie/song in that one as well!

~Lace~

10:23 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Don't forget me. I am running nekked in front of you (remember?) LOL

4:14 AM  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

ha ha that was so funny lace although i can understand your fear its like fear and loathing in pj party..quote; Suddenly there was a terrible roar
all around us and the sky was full
of what looked like huge bats, all
swooping and screeching and diving
around the car...and a voice was screaming: Holy
Jesus! What are these goddamn
animals?...No point mentioning these bats. I
thought. The poor bastard will see
them soon enough...i heard they get tangled in your hair ...yikes!!!!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Metalchick said...

DELBUT! Shame on you! Get your mind out of the gutter!

Lace,
I've seen a bat before, they are very small and their wings are also covered with skin!

11:44 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Ballerinagurl, that's running in front of me *scantily clad* silly, not nekked!!! And if you were there that night we'd both have been running scantily clad in the pitch dark. ANYwhere away from.. the BAT! :P

gypsy.. you too had a *run in* with batS?? plural.. much worse even than my episode i fear.. God surely would know what they were as HE invented them.. i am however still tryna figure out WHY He did that..

metalchick.. just wash delbuts mouth out with soap.. even if he does kinda like that.. as for the skin on bats.. ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

1:27 PM  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

lace i think you should do a post about your diagnostic sleep thingy..sounds painfull...

3:20 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

and so i shall gypsy!

3:43 PM  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

ok lace let me know when you do it and i shall make haste here to read it as it sounds genuinely interesting btw i love psychology...and i think you should put a pic of your beautiful self up..

7:14 PM  
Blogger Delbut said...

i'm with Gypsy on this one.

4:19 AM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

awww shucks ::blushes and kicks dirt:::

ok.. ill republish the one and only photo ive got online to my profile..

::goes to try this without deleting her entire blog.. like bex did::

~Lace~

11:00 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Testing.. testing.. phototesting..

11:11 PM  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

yay! you are beautiful...thankyou for putting it up..delbut will stalk you now seeing as he has failed misserably on me...the scoundrel..

2:34 PM  
Blogger Bex said...

Hiya Sweetie - OMG so this is where Delbut has been hiding !!!!!

If you need advice on how to get rid of him give me a shout - although my methods are extreme ..........

That bat story totally made me laugh - does that make me cruel??? lol

Love Bex

4:27 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

gypsy awww thanx ::blushes and kicks dirt again:::

Bex!! Hiya honey! Did you get your blog back?!? ::Will check later::
Delbut.. he skeers me.. :::bites nails::: hehehe

The bat skeered me too ::bites nails::: hehehe

~Lace~

6:50 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

PS Bex,

YOU cruel? Nahhh. ME writing about one eyed uncles however may be.....

10:24 AM  
Blogger Delbut said...

Lace. You have been picking on me on every bloody blog i've been to.You neice of a one-eyed unclue, you.

Just do what Bex does and ignore me!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Spiny said...

Guy's, I have run out of money this month and have decided to tell you everything I know about Del!! For a small fee I will uncover his grisly past as the illeigitimate offspring of Groucho Marks and Shirly Temple and then go on to tell you about his part in the sinking of the Titanic!! (the band played on??.....well, not all of them did!!!)
Dontaions can me made on my blog!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Spiny said...

ps, lace....you is a babe!!!! ;-)
Any "scantily clad" photos?

2:20 PM  
Blogger BlackVelvetLace said...

Delbut! How can I ignore you?? You gave me my first big break as trevor's understudy.. remember?!?!?

hehehe

~Lace~

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home